Species At Risk

Aboriginal Permit

Under the Endangered Species Act (ESA), the Ministry of Natural Resources may issue an Aboriginal permit to a band (as defined in the federal Indian Act), a tribal council, or an organization that represents a territorially-based Aboriginal community. The Aboriginal permit authorizes the permit holder(s) to perform an activity that is not otherwise allowed under the ESA.

Requirements and conditions

The Ministry can only issue an Aboriginal permit if the permitted activity will not jeopardize the survival or recovery of the species at risk in Ontario.

Before issuing an Aboriginal permit, the Ministry must consider the Government Response Statement, if one exists, for each species at risk that may be affected by the permitted activity.

An Aboriginal permit may also include conditions or requirements such as monitoring and reporting needs.

Map of ontario What's at risk in my area?

Figuring out if you need an authorization, like a permit or an agreement, starts with identifying which protected species are in your area.

How do I get a permit? How do I get a permit?

Find out what steps you need to take in order to get the permit you need.

Contact Us Contact us

Contact your local ministry office